Skip to main content

Reviving Indigenous Wisdom: Exploring the Intersection of Paganism, Shamanism, and Decolonisation


For me, paganism in the British Isles has primarily revolved around music, ceremonies at stone circles, solstice singing, and practices like Samhain. It also encompasses eco-awareness and active defense of the Earth. I've also wondered how these practices differ from Norse, Germanic, or other cultural traditions.


Recently, as I got into Andean spirituality or cosmovision especially since the time of the chilean uprising in 2018 and when I witnessed indigenous delegates attending COP26 in Glasgow, I discovered connections between Mapuche ceremonies from the southernmost ends of the Americas and those performed by Scottish groups with ties to indigenous or at least traditional spirituality. Through these ceremonies, people expressed a sense of rekindling a lost link. I believe this spirit stems from a desire to heal a wound or reclaim something that was taken away. In Chile and other parts of the world, we refer to this process as decolonising. Perhaps it arises from the belief that modern capitalist nation-states are not actively colonising the peoples and cultures within them.

In this context, I was reminded of comments made about shamanism and the connection between Native American and European traditions.  They reminded me of the first podcast of the British Druid Order, in which the founder shares his experience of finding his spirit animal in a sweat lodge. This encounter led to an intentional blending of shamanism and paganism that had been absent in previous forms of neo-Druidry. 


From my perspective, I consider Aymara cosmovision to be pagan because we were literally persecuted by Christians. Whole villages were set ablaze when our continued worship of huacas and engagement in our ceremonies were discovered. Instead, the colonizers expected us to practice syncretic forms of Andean Christianity. These historical events are documented in journals from the time of conquest and the Viceroyalty of Peru.

Another common aspect I see is the focus on the spiritual elements that connect us to the Earth, life, and ecology. For the Aymaras, these elements include our ancestors, the sun, moon, earth, rivers, and more. Through interactions with Aymara decolonising scientists, activists, and ecologists from the Chilean precordillera and Atacama Desert, I have come to understand that we make offerings to and exchange with these entities and aspects because we should strive to defend and diversify our world, without considering ourselves superior or separate.

My great-grandmother was a yatiri, a traditional healer who possessed knowledge of curing various illnesses and the medicinal properties of plants. She also practiced the ritual of offering and receiving, known as Ayni. Indigenous Aymara medicine, like other forms of traditional medicine, has faced significant discrimination. However, resources like the CC-licensed "Aymara Cosmovision for Health Professionals" aim to challenge the discriminatory views surrounding traditional indigenous health practices and offer ways to cohabit that space. 

Personally, I find it gratifying when individuals choose to adapt, practice, or learn about Andean or Aymara cosmovision, as long as it leads to a deeper understanding of their own spiritual path.  I don't speak for all Aymaras or even just the decolonising ones. I can only share my perspective as someone fortunate enough to feel a close connection to both spiritualities and recognize how each can inspire us to actively defend the Earth against exploitation and extraction. Similarly, in Abya Yala, we can learn from Europeans and/or colonised subjects, as Aymara sculptor Victor Zapana suggests. Zapana's idea is captured in the book "Un Mundo Chixi es Posible". 

Zapana's views remind me of the concept of death in relation to various Aymara deities and symbols—the snake that poisons and constricts, leaving one between life and death; the puma that pounces and takes life while one is still alive; and the condor that claims the dead. We exist in between and around these states, never fully belonging to just one. Perhaps the same can be said about the labels we assign to different earth-based faiths and spiritualities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How could Scotland have a more resilient food system?

The question that's led me to write this has been how do we adapt long term, specifically here in Scotland, where I live now, to coronavirus and the idea that pandemics are here to stay if we stay this industrialised and globalised. How does a society look if it's to be resilient long term, sensible and ecologically regenerative? We do know a few things about this novel coronavirus that we seem to be slowly figuring out as it evolves and spreads, and I have almost a picture of how it might look in my head. Here is the closest I can get so far to it, on a regional scale at least: In the picture, each block is a community of several households and work spaces, and each green space is where they grow crops, or graze animals. So why this system? Around the time when it was obvious a lockdown was coming, I read a community organisation manual that mentioned how graph theory applies to limiting the spread of something like Covid-19. It advocates getting together with your clos

Poem for peace, from a pirate recording in a Cairo Museum.

My love With peace I have placed loving flowers at your feet With peace With peace I stopped the seas of blood for you Forget anger Forget pain Forget your weapons Forget your weapons and come Come and live with me my love Under a blanket of peace I want you to sing, beloved light of my eyes And your song will be for peace let the world hear, my beloved and say: Forget anger Forget pain Forget your weapons Forget your weapons and come And live in peace These I believe are the words of a widow at the tomb of her beloved. I got the words from this italian website . It was used in a seminal Italian anti-war song " Luglio Agosto Settembre Nero " by the band Area (although I guess they weren't called anti-war songs then) - whose vocalist Demetrio Stratos indirectly gives the name to this blog, and whose music is the inspiration for a lot of my mine. It's adapted in turn from a greek folk song, but no-one knows who wrote the original words, except that Stratos was probably